Friday, August 15, 2008

Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch

It's Friday night and I'm at home blogging (shocker) but I'm proud to say that there is a good reason this is my activity of choice for this start-to-the-weekend-if-you-were-a-cool-kid-you'd-be-out-on-the-town night: The muscles in my fingers are the only muscles in my entire body that aren't writhing in pain. Seriously.

My company is doing a really cool wellness program as an incentive for our employees to get healthy and in turn, hopefully, reduce medical claims and the ever rising cost of insurance. We've had a wellness program since I began working there 10 years ago which, until this year, consisted of $100 a year going to every employee for them to apply towards a gym membership, diet program, quit smoking program, glasses, etc. This year we stepped it up a notch. We were assessed at the beginning of the year (I was declared obese - mmm-hmmm), have wellness coaches who are available to meet with us on a monthly basis to set goals, keep us motivated, feed us healthy information, walking programs, health resources and so on. We accumulate points for things like walking, exercising, getting massages, volunteering, and eating our fiber. If you get x amount of points a month, an extra $35 shows up in your paycheck. Not too bad considering you just have to eat breakfast 5 times a week to get your points for the month. Luckily they don't deduct you for eating 2 breakfasts every morning which is the program I've opted for. I can't help it - I'm STARVING!

So, yesterday, Wellness Coach Erin was in town and we had her for 30 minutes to do whatever - talk about goals, nutrition or workout. Jessica and I decided to workout and John ended up joining us as well. This is where I started hurting. She had us do 4 exercises for 1 minute each and then rest for 1 minute. We were all screaming for our Mommas by the end. I love and hate Wellness Coach Erin at the same time. There are many great things about this deal: Discovered John is a big whiner, Jessica and I totally kicked his arse. The 30 minutes is fast and furious - it doesn't even feel like you're working out...well, you definitely FEEL it but you're not hating it. Wellness Coach Erin caught us up on the dating world and I again thanked God that I am not in it. I felt like I was going to barf at the end. Seriously. That isn't a "great thing about this deal" but it's the truth and we're not holding anything back here.

So, today, ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. It has gotten progressively worse. And the longer I sit, the more it hurts when I try to walk. Note the word "try" there. I'm not sure my method of getting to point A to point B is considered a walk exactly. It's a little reminescent of a donkey in labor. I've never actually seen that but I imagine that is what I look like.

1 comment:

big D wilsons said...

hey, no biggie.
when you're all fine and stuff, we'll all just be jealous.