Monday, May 26, 2008

Firsts....



This has been a week of firsts for us. We celebrated Matt's re-employment with dinner out - just the 2 of us. We've been talking about going to this neighborhood restaurant for years and we finally did it. We have totally been missing out! Matt's steak and my crabcakes were delicious. But the icing on the cake was, literally, the icing on the 8 inch tall icing on the coconut cake. Oh my.




Since it was just the 2 of us that meant getting a sitter for the Bugster for the 1st time. We were very proud of ourselves - we didn't worry about her and we managed not to talk about her until after the coconut cake. That's not to say we didn't high tail it out of there so we could be home where we belong.




Matt left Saturday for the coast (not a first). He and the Perry's went deep sea fishing on Sunday and caught a boat load of Mahi. Just one of the reasons I think our relationship works - his hobby to hunt / fish / cook subsidizes my hobby to eat / eat / eat. Anyway, I left Sunday morning with Brantley and checked into the hotel. Amy met us there and we hit the beach - my first time back at the beach in almost a year and Brantley's first time at the beach ever. She loved looking at the water - a girl after my own heart. This morning the whole family took a walk which was the best. It's one of my favorite times to be on the beach. We dreamed about the day we have our own place there. I can't describe how happy this would make us - both individually and as a family. I'm actually really happy with my life the way it is - I love my husband and bambino and even my job (well, I really like my job. love is pushing it.) But Monday thru Friday would be even better knowing I could be back at the beach every weekend.




Our little weekend getaway facilitated another first - we had a dog/house sitter come take care of baby #1 and #2. We're pretty over the top when it comes to our dogs - I mean we really love them and it kills us to leave them. Especailly when they realize we're going somewhere and think they think they're coming with us but we know they're not. It totally sucks. But knowing they were in good hands made it much more bearable. We'll definitely do it again - unless we get a beach house and then they can come with us. One big happy family.




Matt just reminded me of another first - we purposefully and pre-meditatively slept in separate beds at the hotel this weekend. How old are we????








2 comments:

big D wilsons said...

grandma and grandpa,
it sounds like a great weekend!
that little girl would not be yours if she didn't love the beach.
which by the way, the wilsons are ready for you to get a beach house too.

big D wilsons said...

ahem. will we see some 2nds soon?
have you registered for san antonio?