Monday, June 8, 2009

Sabbatical - Part II: The Not So Fabulous

Where the heck did my font option go?

Anyway, we had a couple of not so fabulous things occur the last 3 weeks but, thankfully, I had to rack my brain to remember what they were. I almost hate to even write about them but...such is life, right? I'll keep it short and to the point so if you're in a good mood while reading this you have a good chance of staying that way.

First, our AC didn't work in the condo for the first week and half! Long story short, there was a mix up and what should have been a 3 day inconvenience turned into 10. I feel a bit wronged here and am thinking about writing a letter to the rental company. It seriously would not have been a big deal except that (a) I had more than one restless night of sleep due to the 747, also known as a portable AC, they installed to keep the master bedroom cold. I mean cool. I mean borderline warm; (b) I missed out on 4 nights of sleeping to the sound of ocean waves; (c) Our guests did not have the benfit of the 747 and really were pretty warm; (d) Meeting the AC techs and coordinating with the rental co. took precious, precious, time; and (e) The rental company just was not that apologetic about the situation. They definitely handled it the best they could but I still feel like I paid for something that I did not receive.

Second, Matt called me the first Monday I was there to let me know that Lola would need surgery on her knee when I got back. She tore a ligament and was limping badly. The vet gave her some pain meds to get her through the past few weeks and Matt and I dropped her off this morning for the surgery. Thankfully, she came through fine and, as Dr. Jon reported, "She is on narcotics and is enjoying the ride." It is VERY weird not having her here. Our shoebox actually seems bigger but the house just seems empty without her. We pick her up tomorrow at which time we will beg Dr. Jon for a 4 month supply of narcotics so that we can keep the Beanster calm during recovery. For those of you who have met Lola, you know that calm is not in her limited vocabulary.

Third, and this is the most freaky although I'm pretty sure it was harmless, I received a message through my Flickr account that someone wanted to add me as a contact. I did not recognize the name so I logged on to check him out. His profile came up "Single" and "Male". And "Child Photographer". If you watch Oprah you know how those 4 words in this context can FREAK YOU OUT. I looked at some of his current contacts and he really did seem harmless but who is he and how did he find my stuff? I thought I had made all my photos for "Friends and Family Only" but apparently not. I denied the request and am now in the process of making sure everything is for "Friends and Family Only". Such a sucky feeling.

So that is a wrap for the Not So Fabulous. Am really thankful that the Not So Fabulous was really not so bad...

1 comment:

The Browns said...

That is SO creepy and I'm WAY freaked out. I must have missed that Oprah so will need you to fill me in. How do these freaks find these pictures and what do they do with them???