Saturday, January 3, 2009

It's quiet and I like it.

It seems like this is the first time in a month that I've been is silence. I almost want to cry it is such a relief. Not that I'm not thankful for the noises that make up my life, but a girl can only take so much before the urge to stuff mashed potatoes in her ears becomes more of a reality than a passing fantasy.

So I'm a big Christmas person. I love everything about it - Christmas Eve church service, carols 24/7, lights, trees, stockings, giving....receiving, food, wine, cheer. Love it all. Well this year the Helbig's had no tree. No tree, no lights, no baking, no Christmas parties, and no Christmas Eve service. I did manage to get the stockings hung which was less than satisying b/c we have 5 members of the family and I only have 4 matching stocking holders. This glitch in perfection made me crazy. Not to mention we don't have 5 matching stockings. Lola and Gunner actually have the best stockings out of all of us. But that is just the tree topper on the non-existent tree. For the 4 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas we kept talking about the tree that never came to be and when I realized we were going to have a treeless Christmas, I decided we had failed as parents. My little brain was telling me that this Christmas was going to set the precendent for all Christmas' to come. It was Brantley's first and the kid had no tree. Now I know that Christmas is much more than a tree but come on. NO TREE?!?! So sad for me and Bug. Matt has come away unscathed.

The upside of all of this is that it took all of 3 minutes to put Christmas away!

Our holidays in as few words as possible:
Mom and Dad spent a month on the east coast and were a huge help in taking care of B while Jackie had some time off and and Matt and I had to work.

My Great Uncle JC passed away. We were all very thankful to have spent Thanksgiving with him and he is greatly missed.

Christmas Eve Eve we drove 9 hours to NJ. Hit freezing rain during the 7th hour. Ran out of windshield wiper fluid. Realized windshield wipers needed to be replaced.

Christmas Eve we celebrated with the Helbigs.

Christmas Day we celebrated with Granny. Ate filet mignon. Yum.

Day after Christmas celebrated B's birthday with all of Granny's super nice friends. B ate a not so pretty but delicious chocolate cake. Drove 7 hours, 45 minutes home that night.

All 6 dogs, yes, it says 6, were really well behaved.

Matt's brothers were really well behaved.

Mom, Dad, Trudi, Doug and girls came to celebrate B's birthday. She dove face first into her cupcake - no hands - thought it was real funny. We did too.

Worked when I was supposed to be off. Am slightly bitter but thankful to have a job. Am more thankful than bitter.

Had the forethought to postpone B's birthday party with friends to next weekend instead of today. Every now and then I have a brush with genius.

Took a long, needed walk on the river with hubby, baby and dogs this morning. Ahhh....

Had date with hubby while parents were here. Saw Marley & Me. Bawled. Came home and loved on our furry children. Decided it was like watching our life on the big screen but they lived in much better houses. And Jennifer Aniston is way hotter than me.

Am trying to find a computer armoire. Can't understand why it is so hard. Trying to figure out some tax stuff. Not suprised that it is hard but don't understand why it has to be.

Am trying to find some material for some curtains which will finish up our playroom / guestroom / Matt's closet.

Am waiting for flickr to download 235 pictures. Am contemplating going back to blonde - don't want to due to upkeep, money, and time. Want to so I don't feel like a hag.

Competed the 12 days of Christmas wellness challenge through work. Don't think I get anything except the satisfaction of knowing I may have staved (is that a word?) off some holiday poundage.

My time is up. Matt just pulled in and Brantley just woke up. Bye bye quiet time. Hope to see you again in less than a month.

3 comments:

The Browns said...

Honey - you picked the best year not to put up a tree - Brantley won't remember any of this! Don't be too hard on yourself, we all work too hard to be the perfect mom and seriously - who is that??


Merry Christmas sweet friend!

Oh and ps - I LOVE you as a brunette!

big D wilsons said...

i agree! tree schmree! don't put it up until someone is there to help you take it down.
and marley and me? worst movie of the year! i told dave the exact same thing!!
movies are to be an escape, i can sit down and recount my life, and there weren't even good lines to quote!
i still cry when i think about it!
i miss you.

Marlee said...

I love my girlfriends!!