Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Help...or something like that

So, I am really, really thankful for all that my parents have done/do for me. I feel very blessed with the upbringing I had: got to take dance lessons, they bought me instruments, I got a 10-speed when my best friend got a 10-speed, piano lessons (which I didn't really like but my parent's sacrificed in order to give them to me). Always had more than enough food in my belly, love a plenty, family vacations, homemade chocolate chip cookies, lived in a typical middle America suburb...you get the point. Now at the time I thought I never had enough - I didn't have the coolest clothes, I didn't get a car given to me on my 16th birthday, we drove on family vacations, never flew, we rarely had babysitters which I always wanted, Birthdays and Christmas were never as over the top as some of my friend's experiences. But the older I get the more thankful I become for how I was raised. And the more I realize how much my parent's sacrificed in order to give us 3 kids what they did - which is a lot.

Which brings me to the discussion some girlfriends and I had over the weekend regarding "Mommy Peer Pressure." We thought we had outgrown the peer pressure phenomenon but apparently it never goes away and I suppose some people can never stop giving into it. People are throwing these outrageous birthday parties for their toddlers (hello MTV - here is your next star of "Sweet Sixteen"). Anything from the coolest baby gear to what private school they go to. Where are our values people? And how come you care more about what that mom thinks of you than what is best for your child? And what kind of expectations are we setting for our children? Suffice it to say it just sends me to a bad place.

But I totally digress. This is where I meant to go when I started typing...

My parents make it East at least once, sometimes twice a year. I always like to think of projects for them to do while they're here (1) because I always seem to have more projects than time to do them, (2) because Matt hates projects and (3) if they're engaged in a project, chances are they are not looking over Matt's shoulder watching him work. Seriously, I've seen Dad do it and for the sake of my marriage it shouldn't happen again.

I'm always very thankful for the help...well, I'm always very thankful for their good intentions. Project summary follows:

Rake leaves: Friday - Leaves raked into huge piles all over yard. Saturday - M&D leave to go home, skies open up for a week straight. Following week: Matt gets half dry/half soaking leaves bagged. Result - Big dead circles of grass all over yard.

Hang faux wood blinds: Monday - blindes are hung. Tuesday - M&D leave. A year later - 4 inches of excess blind slats are still on blinds.

Paint wall where player piano used to be:
Me: "Dad, I think this is the right paint but I'm not sure."
Dad: "Ok"
Mom and I leave for the mall, grocery store, etc. Arrive back a few hours later.
Result: Big blue square, and multiple "touch-ups" on non-blue walls.
Me: "Uh Dad, it wasn't the right paint color was it?"
Dad: "Nope."
Me: "Um, so I guess you needed to paint the whole square just to be sure it wasn't the right paint color?"
Dad: "Well, you said use this paint and I just figured it would dry to the right color."
Me: Laughing...beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep "Hey, Hera. I need you to come paint a room for me. Next week? Yeah, that's great. You'll know which room it is when you walk in the door."

My parents. I LOVE them.

1 comment:

The Browns said...

LOL! We can SO relate! love it!!