Monday, March 16, 2009

Questions...

(1) Do any of you other bloggers have as many issues as I do fomatting your blogs? Note the non-spaces between paragraphs and the different font size in "Piece de Resistance". Knowing that 3 of my 3 readers are perfectionists, this is completely unacceptable. And it makes me coocoo.

(2) How do you discipline a 15 month old who continues to swipe her food off of her plate onto the floor when she is done eating. Knowing good and well that she knows how to sign "all done"? (a) Firmly saying "no. not nice" - doesn't work. In fact, she thinks those 3 words coming out of my mouth at these instances are HILARIOUS. (b) In addition to (a), taking her dinner away - uh, yeah, that is what she wants you to do because she is ALL DONE. (c) Not reacting with any verbal cues and calmly taking dinner away - fine and dandy with the Bster. (d) Matt very firmly saying "no brantley" - quivering lip, big tears. (e) Holding her hands firmly mid-swipe - more laughter and completes the swipe the second you let go. Pisser that girl is.

(3) Given question (2), I pose question (3). Is it time to pop - swat - firmly pat her hand when she does this? Is this how I want to discipline my child? Will it teach her to hit? Have I tried enough positive reinforcement? Have I tried every other option before resorting to this one? A lot of times I can see when it is about to happen - can I intercept the the swipe before it is in full force enough times that she forgets how fun it is to throw your food on the ground? When do you put your foot down on behavior that they know is wrong and do anyway? AND WHY THE HECK DOESN'T SHE BEHAVE LIKE THIS WITH JACKIE?

(4) Why did my flickr uploader stop working and when the heck am I'm going to get that fixed?

(5) Was getting tatoos REALLY that smart?

(6) Is crying in front of your boss a sign of weakness?

(7) Who knew that being without Matt for 8 days would make me miss him this much?

(8) Who will never, ever, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever be moving to Seattle? ME

3 comments:

dana said...

1. yes, and your previous post included varying font sizes, too (incase you hadn't noticed!!). sometimes blogger is a pain.

2. welcome to my world! it will pass. don't fret or get too frustrated. when ruby does these games we actively ignore (turn around and face our back to her). the problem with saying "no" is that she'll start saying it back to you, which has happened in our house. it's her new favorite word, so now we are coming up with alternative ways of getting the point across. i think positive reinforcement is the best way to do it. when she isn't throwing (or in our case rubbing it all over her face, hair, nose and ears) her food then praise her for eating so nicely, signing all done, etc.

3. hmmm, not if it isn't acceptable for her to do it to you or others

5. umm, hell no!!

xo

AbbyD said...

2. I don't have any advice for you since I'm not there yet. In fact, Laila is still motorboating most of her food. "NO" doesn't work here either. She could care less if I stop feeding her too. So much more to look forward to!

6. What happened with your boss?

8. I'm with you there, girl!

The Browns said...

1 - YES! It's what inevitably turns my quick 10 minute post into a 45 minute exercise in perfectionism.

2 - Let me know what you figure out. 3 little blessings later and we still don't know what we're doing

3 - I'm kind of with Dane on this one and have to say I think it's a slippery slope. I actually have a lot of respect for those that have found out a way to spank w/o loosing control. For me, a swat here and there can really quickly become my first reaction and I'm scared of my own impulse control. No judgement though if you do decide to. I was spanked as a child and didn't grow up to be a a completely crazy person!

5 - Oh girl - and just wait until Brantley starts pointing at it and saying "sun!" "sun!" You'll never hate her ability to talk so much.

6 - hmmm...little bit. but if this is the same boss you've always had I don't think he counts.