Saturday, April 26, 2008

Texas A&M Family

There was a news story of a tragic accident in the news this week. A biker was hit and killed by a drunk driver at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning. The driver was a 21 year old who had just celebrated his birthday the night before. The woman, I found out a few days later, was the wife of a Texas A&M alumni.

What I found particularly compelling about this story is the compassion the woman's husband has shown the young man who killed her. "I feel bad for the guy. I was young once, and I remember getting [drunk] before. I don't think it was at 11 a.m., though."

I am sad for this fellow Aggie - his wife seemed like a very smart, caring, involved woman. And I'm sad for the driver who took her life away. To live with the guilt of this tragedy the rest of his life...I can't imagine.

I think about how life can turn on a dime often. We've all been there, going along our merry way and then the phone rings, or you make the wrong turn or you lose concentration for just a second...or you decide to have just one more drink and get behind the wheel of a car. And this is where faith comes in. I'm a huge believer in everything happening for a reason. And I find great comfort in knowing that God has his hand in all the goings on of this world. And that often times, amazing acts of love, depth, and a deep sense of connection come out of the worst of times. And that we may not understand it all now, but one day we will.

So my prayers go out to both the families and friends who have been affected by this tragedy. God bless and strengthen you in the days to come.